Discover The Pros And Cons Of Rough Cedar Decking
Selecting the right material for your home deck or porch is of utmost importance. A number of factors will determine the ideal choice, right from location to shape and size of your deck. There are various choices in decking materials, but rough cedar lumber remains a classic choice. Cedar wood decks do have a few advantages, but should you consider this choice? In this post, we take a look at the pros and cons at a glance.
- Cedar is aromatic. One of the foremost advantages of cedar is its aromatic nature. This simply means that cedar naturally repels insects, which is one of the prime reasons why it is considered for closets and furniture needs. Since decks are exposed to the elements of nature, this wood remains a preferred choice in many areas.
- Cedar is durable. When it comes to durability, a wood is tested as how prone it is to decay and rotting. Cedar is pretty durable in that context, which makes it ideal for decks that receive sunlight and rains alike. Cedar is known to secrete extractives, which prevents weathering and moisture related damages. Decks made of this wood can last for two decades or even more.
- You have more choices. Cedar decks don’t have to look the same. You can find a wide range of finishes and textures to choose from, so how your deck eventually looks is completely in your control.
- Cedar decking is not bad for the planet. Some may argue that cedar decks mean more deforestation, but it is still a better choice than synthetic options. Also, it is a renewable source of material and is biodegradable. In no way is cedar decking is impacting the environment in adverse ways.
- Cedar looks stunning. The aesthetic value of cedar decks and porches is incomparable to some of the common types of wood. Furthermore, you can ask for more textured finishes or opt for a look that fits your exterior needs.
On the flip side
It is known that cedar decking is prone to denting, and you may have to spend considerably more on maintenance, which is an aspect to consider too.
As you can see, the benefits of cedar decking clearly outweighs the cons, and you should think of this as an alternative. To know the costs better, talk to one of your local suppliers and ask for an estimate based on project requirements.